Financial aid and/or scholarships
Financial aid and scholarships ("aid") that have been approved but not yet applied to the student account are considered to be "anticipated." Anticipated aid is deducted from the current term balance. The balance remaining will be billed to the student and the minimum payment must be paid by the due date to avoid being subject to sanctions or cancellation. The remaining balance will also be subject to the 1% monthly finance charge. When the financial aid is received, it will be applied to the student account. Federal financial aid will automatically apply toward current tuition, required fees, and housing charges. As a service and convenience to students, MU can apply any excess federal financial aid to other current charges (such as bookstore charges, library fees, etc…). You may choose this as an option through your myZou account after you accept or decline your financial aid awards. If this service is declined, the student is still responsible for outstanding charges. Outstanding charges previously billed are subject to the 1% monthly finance charge. In accordance with federal regulations, financial aid will not pay outstanding charges from a prior academic year.
If a scholarship check is sent directly to you, the student or parent, that check should be submitted to the Office of Student Financial Aid, 11 Jesse, Columbia, MO 65211. The financial aid office will record that scholarship as part of the student total aid package and they will apply the scholarship to the student account.
If the Cashiers Office has valid approval from a third-party sponsor prior to the student registering for classes, then the sponsor credit will appear on the student's account after they register. If the sponsor credit does not show once the student has selected classes, then the student should contact Sponsor Billing at Cashiers Office, University of Missouri-Columbia, 15 Jesse Hall, Columbia, MO 65211; Attn: Sponsor Billing; (573)882-9138.
Students who do not have full sponsorship for all their fees must make at least the minimum payment in order to hold selected classes. Students who make the minimum payment are subject to a 1% monthly finance charge on unpaid billed balances. If a student owes a past-term balance, it must be paid in full.
Please see the third-party sponsor billing page for additional information.
Cashiers accepts the following methods of payment:
- Cashiers checks, money orders, travelers checks
- Personal checks — The amount of the personal check may not exceed the amount due from the student. A student whose checks are returned from the bank unpaid will incur a $20 service charge per check. A student presenting a check for fees to the University that is returned unpaid and remains unpaid after the close of the regular registration period will be considered a late registrant and will be subject to the late registration fee; the enrollment may also be subject to cancellation.
- MasterCard, American Express, and Discover — Cashiers accepts payment on the student's account up to the credit limit of the cardholder. The charge amount may not exceed the amount due. Credit card payments may only be made through our third party vendor, which can be accessed through myZou (for students) or Quikpay (for authorized users). A 2.75% service charge will apply. Refunds based on credit card payments will be refunded to the credit card.
- International Wire Transfer - University of Missouri - Columbia has partnered with peerTransfer to streamline the tuition payment process for our international students. With peerTransfer, you can pay from any country and any bank. You are offered excellent foreign exchange rates, allowing you to pay in your home currency (in most cases) and save a significant amount of money, as compared to traditional banks. You will also be able to track where your payment is in the transfer process via a student dashboard and an email confirmation will be sent to you when your payment is received by the school. Go to missouri.peertransfer.com to begin the payment process.
Students may use the following options when paying fees:
- myZou — Students may pay bills online via e-check or credit/debit card payments through our third-party vendor, which is accessed through myZou. Please see the how to make payments page for additional information. Authorized users may pay by logging into Quikpay directly.
E-check - payment via direct debit of a checking or savings account
Credit/Debit Card- payment may be made with a Discover, MasterCard or American Express card. A 2.75% service charge will apply to all credit/debit card payments.
- Cashiers Office lobby, 15 Jesse Hall — For those who wish to pay in person. All cash payments must be made in person.
- By mail— A return envelope is provided with every billing statement. The address on the return envelope is a clearinghouse in Kansas City, Missouri, used by the University of Missouri system to receive payments. If you misplaced the return envelope, payments may be sent directly to the Cashiers Office at: Cashiers Office, University of Missouri-Columbia, 15 Jesse, Columbia, MO 65211