About Refunds

To find out if you have a refund, log into myZou.

As a University we are committed to protecting the students we serve and are in the process of adding two-factor authentication to myZou. Due to this, the direct deposit functionality for student refunds is “view only status” within myZou. Please contact the Cashiers Office if you would like to sign-up or make any changes to your existing direct deposit account.

Financial aid refunds

Federal financial aid will automatically apply toward current tuition, required fees, and housing charges. As a service and convenience to students, MU can apply any excess federal financial aid to other current charges (such as bookstore charges, library fees, etc…). You may choose this as an option through your MyZou account after you accept or decline your financial aid awards. If this service is declined, the student is still responsible for outstanding charges. In accordance with federal regulations, financial aid will not pay outstanding charges from a prior academic year.

Refunds of excess financial aid proceeds may be deposited directly into the student's checking or savings account or sent as a paper check via US mail.  Financial aid refunds are computed daily.  However, paper refund checks are only printed weekly on Tuesday nights, unless Tuesday is a holiday.  (For fall and spring semesters, during peak seasons 10 days prior to first day of regular term classes to 2 weeks after, refund checks will be printed nightly.) 

Direct deposit is the preferred and quicker method for receiving your refund. To sign up for direct deposit, go to the Student Center in myZou self-service pages, scroll down to the Finance section, and click on the Manage Direct Deposit link. Once you have direct deposit set up, you will receive an email when your refund has been processed. It then takes approximately three days to transfer the funds to your bank. Please note: Your bank must credit your account with those funds. Please verify the credit in your bank account before withdrawing funds.  Please see our YouTube tutorial:  "How to set up Direct Deposit at MU".

Please note: The direct deposit form is only for direct deposit of a student's refund. The bank account to which the refund is being applied must include the student as owner or be a joint account which includes the student's name. At this time, we do not have a system for direct deposit of Federal Parent Loan refunds into the parent's bank account.

If you want to continue to have refund checks sent via US mail, it's important that we have your correct address. To check or change the address we have on file, go to the Address section at the bottom of your myZou self-service page.

Nonpayment drop, class drop, and withdrawal refunds

Fees subject to refund include tuition, non-resident tuition, student activity fee, information technology fee, and any related miscellaneous fees which may have been assessed.

  • Students who have registered for courses, made payment for fees and who subsequently cancel their registration before the first day of classes are eligible for a full credit.
  • Students whose course has been cancelled by the department will receive 100% credit of class fees for that course.
  • Students who are dropped for nonpayment, withdraw from the University, or reduce their course load after classes have begun are subject to the appropriate refund schedule.

The date to be used in determining the amount of the refund shall be the system-generated date listed in myZou. You cannot withdraw from all your classes using myZou.

Refunds are subject to the following conditions:

    • If courses have not been paid in full or if you have a balance owed to cashiers for other items, any credit you receive from dropping classes is applied to your student account balance first, before a refund check is issued. Refunds due to withdrawal from the University are subject to various conditions. For more information, please contact the Cashiers Office at (573)882-3097. Deductions may be made from the refund amount for any other financial obligations owed to the University of Missouri.
  • No refund shall exceed the amount of fees paid.
  • Refunds based on credit card payments, when your last method of payment was via credit card, will be electronically refunded back to the credit card up to the amount of that credit card payment.
  • Students reducing hours or withdrawing from school who have received financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office to see how your actions will affect your aid award.
  • Students who withdraw from a study abroad program will be refunded only those costs that can be recovered by MU or the MU Partner Program. Refunds in cases of cancellation of a study abroad program or in cases of a student's dismissal from or inability to participate in or complete a study abroad program will be subject to limitations stated in the conditions of participation for the program.


A student who drops or withdraws and believes a greater refund should be authorized than provided for in the established schedule may fill out a Refund Appeal Form in the Office of University Registrar. A decision will be made by the Assistant Registrar within 10 days of receipt of the appeal. A final appeal can be made to the University Registrar-MU within twenty (20) days of the receipt of the decision.

In exceptional cases, such as the death of a student, a 100% refund may be authorized at any time during the semester.

Leaving credit on student account

If you have a credit balance on your account and you want to leave that credit balance on your account, such as in anticipation of future charges, you may contact the Cashiers Office by email at 4cash@missouri.edu or by phone at (573)882-3097. You will be required to complete this form requesting the credit remain on your account.