University Accounts & Grants

University Accounts and Grants are two different types of sponsored activity. University Accounts allow campus departments to utilize their general operating funds to cover various costs. University Grants refers to external funding received by the University to complete a scope of work or provide a deliverable.

Grants are associated with “assistance” type of funding (wherein the sponsor is “assisting” the University accomplish activities central to its mission); contracts are associated with “procurement” (wherein the sponsor is “procuring” activities at the primary direction and benefit of the sponsor).

Sponsored activity funding is captured in the University’s General Ledger under funds 2100-2299. Specific questions regarding Grants and Contracts need to be directed to Office of Sponsored Programs Administration.

Students sponsored by departments

If part or all of a student’s  educational expenses are being paid by a department, you can do this through our Sponsor Billing process. We require official written authorization from the department, including:

  • Student’s full name, student number, and PS Account number
  • Department Name
  • Grant or Account Name
  • Contact Person and Approver name and email
  • The time period the sponsorship covers (one semester or multiple semesters, for example)
  • Specification of the fees to be covered under the agreement and/or a maximum credit hour or dollar amount if appropriate
  • MoCode to be billed for charges
  • Indication whether to be paid by Grant- Yes or No
  • Grant accounts that are used to pay student fees must have prior approval from the Sponsored Programs Office before crediting a student’s account.  If you do not obtain approval before sending to us, please provide the OSPA contact and we will obtain it.  This may delay processing.  If department obtains approval before submitting to Cashiers, a copy of the approval must be sent with the Sponsor Billing Form
  • Approvers signature
  • Be sure to add budget under account code 760001 to prevent BCM errors

Please use our Sponsor Billing Form to submit to the department information to Cashiers.

The Sponsor Billing Form should be directed to:  If you have questions please email or call (573)882-6247.